Air Key West Scheduled Flights to Cuba
Travel to Cuba from the US is permissible under 12 authorized categories by the US Department of Treasury. These are:
- Family visits
- Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
- Journalistic activity
- Professional research and professional meetings
- Educational activities
- Religious activities
- Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
- Support for the Cuban people
- Humanitarian projects
- Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
- Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials
- Certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing Department of Commerce regulations and guidelines with respect to Cuba or engaged in by U.S.-owned or -controlled foreign firms
Recent changes, however, have placed more stringent requirements on these approved categories. As of November 2017, travel under the General License “Education activities, general license for people-to-people travel” for individuals is no longer acceptable. General Licenses for group people-to-people travel are still authorized, but come with the restriction that these groups must have a set itinerary while in Cuba, and be under the care of a guide. Air Key West can arrange these tours and excursions as part of your trip, and will provide the necessary documentation, visas, etc. as part of the reservation process.
Air Key West is currently adjusting its schedule with the recent changes. We plan on resuming scheduled service between Key West and Havana in the near future.